top of page

Sculpted by Gary Casteel


1863 Signed and Numbered Limited Edition Monument Replicas


Organized in 1861 at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, the 102nd Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry was part of the Third Brigade, Third Division, Sixth Corps.  Upon the resignation of Colonel Kinkead, on the 27th of May, 1863, Major Patterson was promoted to Colonel, Captain William M'Ilwaine to Lieutenant Colonel, and Captain Thomas M'Laughlin to Major.  On the 8th of June, with the entire corps, the 102nd again crossed the Rappahannock, and was for several days kept hard at work fortifying.  However, with the Confederate Army moving northward up into the Shenandoah Valley, the Army of the Potomac was “was put in motion, the First and Eleventh corps engaging him at Gettysburg on the 1st of July, the Sixth reaching the field on the afternoon of the 2d, after a long and wearisome march.” 


Upon arrival, Wheaton’s Brigade was ordered to the support of the Third and portions of the Second and Fifth Corps, “which had been desperately engaged and took position, on commanding ground, to the right and front of Little Round Top, along a by-road, running parallel with the Taneytown Road, the position of the One Hundred and Second falling just in front of Weikert's House.  At evening the brigade was withdrawn a short distance and its front made to conform to the new line of battle taken up during the night, and here it remained, with only slight loss, until the close of the struggle. The enemy, finding his efforts futile to break the Union lines, withdrew from the contest, and before he could again be brought to bay, escaped across the Potomac.”  The 102nd Pennsylvania remained in its position “with only slight loss, until the close of the struggle.”


This monument was dedicated in 1889 and is located south of Gettysburg north of Wheatfield Road on the east side of the driveway to the J. Weikert Farm.

102nd Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry

SKU: 1085
  • Size:  4 ½” x 4 ½” x 10”

    Weight:  2.65lbs

Related Products