top of page

Sculpted by Gary Casteel


1863 Signed and Numbered Limited Edition Monument Replicas

 

Originally formed for Colonel Hiram Berdan's sharpshooter regiments, the two companies of Massachusetts sharpshooters decided to retain their state affiliation when informed that they would lose the state enlistment bounty by joining Berdan's Federal regiments. The two companies of Massachusetts Sharpshooters were nominally independent, although each operated with a Massachusetts regiment. The 1st Company, Andrews, Massachusetts Infantry Regiment. The company of sharpshooters was organized in Lynnfield, Massachusetts and mustered in on September 2, 1861 and mustered out on September 6, 1864.

 

During the battle of Gettysburg, it served as a member of the Second Corps, Army of the Potomac. The unit was commanded by Captain William Plumer, a graduate of Harvard University and lawyer from Lexington. Due to wounds received in June 1863, he rode to Gettysburg in an ambulance. Under his command, the Sharpshooters had 50 men engaged at Gettysburg and among them 2 were killed and 6 were wounded or missing.

 

This monument was dedicated on April 1, 1886 and is located on Hancock Avenue.

1st Massachusetts Sharp Shooters

SKU: 1073
$145.00Price
  • Size: 3 ¾" x 2" x 5 ½"
    Weight: 1.35 lbs

Related Products