top of page

Sculpted by Gary Casteel


1863 Signed and Numbered Limited Edition Monument Replicas


Joshua G. Palmer was originally from New York and moved to Urbana, Ohio, as a practicing dentist.  He enlisted as a Corporal into Co. K, 2nd Ohio Cavalry on April 29, 1861, at the age of 32 years old.  On July 31, 1861, he was mustered out at Columbus, OH.  On October 1, 1861, he was commissioned into Co. B, 66th Ohio Infantry and was promoted to Captain.  On December 5, 1862, he was promoted to Major and was transferred from company B to Field & Staff.


On July 3, 1863, at the Battle of Gettysburg, according to multiple sources, Major Palmer was on Culp’s Hill near the left flank of the 66th Ohio when a Confederate bullet entered his left lung.  Four privates from his old company took him back up the slope to the earthworks.  Private John Houtz later wrote: “I saw he was breathing through the hole the ball had made. I took a fine silk handkerchief I happened to have and wet it from my canteen and pressed it upon the wound.  Palmer uttered, ‘Oh, that did me so much good,’ then said encouragingly, “Stay with them, boys! I will soon be back with you.”  Palmer died of his wounds on July 10, 1863, at the 12th Corps Hospital.


Major Palmer, among others, is remembered by First Lieutenant Robert H. Russell of the 66th Ohio in a letter to his uncle, describing the battle through which the Lieutenant had just passed.


Dear uncle,


          You will be rejoiced to learn of our success in the great Battle of Gettysburg. It commenced on the 1st of July. We came up to the field on the afternoon of that day, but we were not engaged. Early on the morning of the 2nd, our division was deployed in the woods south of town half a mile. Had nothing to do that day but to dodge shells which came about us very thickly.


          Yesterday the 3rd at daybreak, we were taken out in front of the breastworks which had been thrown up on the 2nd by General [Nathaniel] Greene’s brigade and we soon had our hands full. We were on top of a high hill [Culp’s Hill] and the Rebels all down the side of it behind trees and rocks and some of them within two rods of us. After firing a while, we retired inside the breastworks. The Rebels came up thick and fast, but only to be mowed down by our boys. Continual musketry was kept up all day along our line- never stopped a minute until after dark. It seemed one of the longest days I ever saw. About 10 a.m. Major Joshua Palmer was shot through the breast-mortally wounded. He is not dead yet but will die the Surgeon says. Lieutenants Morgan and Butts were also wounded, both in the leg. Sergeant William Scott of Co. D was mortally wounded about this time. In the evening, Sergeant W.V. Taylor was shot in the forehead by a spent ball. He is the only one hurt in Co. G. It would have done your heart good to see the boys come up to the work with a yell. And then they took everything so coolly. Brave boys are they.


Yours faithfully,


Robert H. Russell


This monument was dedicated in 1887 and is located on the east slope of Culp’s Hill summit, below the 66th Ohio Monument, along the skirmish line.

Maj. Joshua G. Palmer Monument

SKU: 1131
  • Size:  3” x 3” x 2 ¾”

    Weight:  .35lbs

Related Products