top of page

Sculpted by Gary Casteel

 

1863 Signed and Numbered Limited Edition Monument Replicas

 

On the evening of July 2, 1863, General Winfield Scott Hancock conducted the 3rd Brigade, 3rd Division of his 2nd Corps from near Ziegler’s Grove to the rear of a bushy swale along Plum Run.  The 39th New York, commanded by Major Hugo Hildebrand, took a position facing left in order to guard against a flank and rear attack; the 125th New York, commanded by Colonel Levin Crandall, took up the position on the left; and the 126th New York, commanded by Colonel C.D. MacDougall, took up the position on the right.  The 3rd Brigade then charged the 13th, 17th, and 18th Mississippi regiments of Barksdale’s Brigade in line in the thicket and drove them through the swale and up the slope toward the Emmitsburg Road.  When the enemy artillery fire became very severe, the 3rd Brigade retired to the swale where Colonel George L. Willard, commanding the 3rd Brigade, was killed.  After being relieved at dark, the 3rd Brigade returned to near its former position on Cemetery Ridge.

 

After Colonel Willard was killed and Colonel Sherrill was wounded, command fell to Lieutenant Colonel James M. Bull, who wrote the Brigade report regarding the action on July 2nd.  He stated:

 

Contrary, as is evident, to the expectations of the brigade commander, the rebels in considerable force were found in this underbrush. They fired upon the brigade as it advanced, which fire was returned by a portion of the brigade without halting. Many fell in the charge through the woods. Reaching the base of the hill, the brigade advanced at a "charge bayonets" up the hill mentioned, and within a few minutes recaptured part of a battery previously taken from us. After taking the battery, the brigade continued to advance under the fire of a battery higher up the hill on the left and a concentric fire of musketry on the right. The commander, finding his brigade unable to stand so severe a fire, ordered the regiments to retire, which was done in good order down the hill and through the underbrush before mentioned.

 

After emerging from the underbrush, the line was reformed by direction of Colonel Willard, and immediately afterward he was killed by a shot from a rebel battery on the hill. Colonel Sherrill then assumed command, and conducted the brigade to its original position, pursuant to the order of Colonel Willard, given just before his death.

 

This monument was dedicated in 1893 and is located on the east side of Sickles Avenue, about 550 feet south of the intersection with Emmitsburg Road.

3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, 2nd Corps

SKU: 1125
$335.00Price
  • Size:  8 ½” x 5” x 7 ½”

    Weight:  6.8lbs

Related Products