top of page

Sculpted by Gary Casteel


1863 Signed and Numbered Limited Edition Monument Replicas


The 5th New Hampshire was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Lieutenant Colonel Charles E. Hapgood of Amhearst, while Colonel Edward Cross had been in command of the brigade since May 1863 as senior colonel.


Colonel Cross had been wounded 12 times previous in his military career.  As he approached Pennsylvania, he had a premonition that his next battle would be his last.  As his men prepared to move to the Wheatfield area on the sweltering afternoon of July 2, 1863, his corps commander, Winfield Scott Hancock, approached Cross to tell him he should do very well and win his star and be promoted to Brigadier-General after the battle.  Cross replied, “No General, this is my last battle.”


Cross was correct.  His Brigade led the counterattack of Caldwell’s Second Corps Division into the Wheatfield that afternoon, moving south from Wheatfield Road as Union troops near Gettysburg desperately sought to counter a massive rebel assault that threatened to roll up the Army of the Potomac’s southern wing.  As part of this effort, soldiers from the 5th New Hampshire advanced into the Rose Woods to protect the left flank of their brigade which had pushed into the Wheatfield.  It was in these woods that the men from the Granite State encountered the 1st Texas, which had moved northward after capturing Devil’s Den.  A short-range firefight of frightening intensity broke out.


The brigade paused halfway across the field to steady the battle line, and Colonel Cross moved down the line preparing to resume the attack.  The rest of the brigade was north of the 5th New Hampshire, with most of the regiments in the Wheatfield.  Cross came to the woods to his old regiment when a Confederate, behind a large boulder 50 yards away, shot Cross in the abdomen.  He was taken to a field hospital behind the lines.  Among his last words were, “I did hope I should see peace restored to our distressed country. I think the boys will miss me. Say goodbye to all.”


The counterattack was not resumed after the federal position began to collapse, and the 5th New Hampshire held its position in the woods against increasing Confederate pressure, even after running out of ammunition.  The regiment was finally relieved by the advance of the U.S. Regulars.  Disaster had threatened, but the Confederate attack had been halted, and the Army of the Potomac had been saved to fight the next day.


This monument was dedicated on July 2, 1886 and is located south of Gettysburg on Ayers Avenue near its intersection with Sickles Avenue.

5th New Hampshire Volunteer Infantry

SKU: 1095
  • Size:  8” x 8 ¼” x 11”

    Weight:  9.6lbs

Related Products