top of page

Sculpted by Gary Casteel

1863 Signed and Numbered Limited Edition Monument Replicas


An order issued on July 5, 1863, by Dr. Jonathan Letterman, medical director for the Army of the Potomac, established a general hospital on the farm of George Wolfe located on the York Pike.  The hospital was set up to treat more than 14,000 Union and 6,800 Confederate soldiers wounded at the Battle and was situated in view of the railroad that was to bring in medical supplies and take out wounded men following their treatment at the camp.  Those soldiers, who were able, were transported to permanent hospitals in Philadelphia, Washington and Baltimore.


Hundreds and hundreds of tents were erected at the site for use of the wounded, and to house supplies and surgery.  A morgue and cemetery were also put in place.  There were more than 1200 burials at the camp. The Union dead were removed in 1864 and re-buried in the new national cemetery while the Confederate dead were relocated over the years to cemeteries in the South.  By November 1863 only a few patients remained at the camp.  The camp was closed shortly thereafter.


The monument is located on Route 30 East.

Camp Letterman (Army of the Potomac Field Hospital)

SKU: 1024
  • Size: 5” x 3 ½” x 8”
    Weight: 4.1lbs

Related Products